Counterpoint of Tolerance 1

Sunday 7 September 2008

I'm so Star Wars - Monday 25th August

Obi-Wan avatar
Episode 1 is virtually done!

(haha - epis-obi-wan is virtually done maybe...!!)

It is amazing what you can do when you have a day off. After today's successes - I've fathomed just how I might be able to complete my MA project.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just get some days off work and get my head down and just concentrate on the documentary. I have tried to do both at the same time, but I'm getting stressed and irritable about the documentary and that's not helping the composition of the whole thing.

First thing tomorrow I'm going to organise that. Simple.

Anyway - enough of that - what have I done today?

Well, thankfully all the naming and sorting of my audio has just reconfirmed to me exactly which bits I want to use, where it's going to go and basically what I'm doing.

Thankfully today, episode 1 has written itself. My narration/script I've written down (again in the notebook - seriously this notebook deserves a commendation!) and recorded in my now mocked-up home studio.

There simply isn't enough time at work to use theirs, which is a little annoying, but my make-shift studio appears to work rather well, and I don't think you can tell studio from stud-ish-io.

I found all the audio I wanted and clipped it up really quickly by freakishly landing my cursor exactly where I needed it to go pretty much first time round for each clip. Nearly all of the audio I extracted edited very logically as well, and all in all it just worked today.

That little problem I mentioned earlier about losing some music from my Fostex I've solved even more today - I merely wrote some more in about half an hour - so even musically and compositionally things have gone well today.

I'll still need to write up my script properly on the computer and actually lay out the script in the proper way - but that shouldn't take too long.

I have found one part I'm going to have to sort out; copyright - which is something that I wanted to avoid - this is why I'm trying to generate all the music from what we've done and stuff I'm writing myself, but one part just needed a certain song, and now I've put it in, with a little Audition mastery, it sounds so good that I cannot take it out.

So I need to check what I need to do about copyrightable material.

Listening back to the whole thing - which is just under 6 minutes (a THIRD DONE!! YEY!!) I've managed to harness the excitement of the whole project - it sounds exciting, jubilant, enjoyable, ground-breaking, multi-cultural, young and everything you'd expect a documentary about this type of project I'm remarking upon.

Something which I mentioned in my MA proposal a few months ago before I left Falmouth to start my job is that I really wanted the documentary to be like a carnival of different voices, different accents, different music, different sounds etc. etc. And I've got it - phew!

Without wanting to give away too much - it starts with a montage of the 10 composers.

Ooh, while I'm talking about this - that was a little issue earlier today - how on earth am I going to introduce myself as one of the 10 composers involved AS WELL AS the journalist behind the documentary...hmmm I thought to myself.
I don't want to be the subject of the documentary - but I do need to make people aware that I am involved in the process - otherwise it's 9 different composers brought from across the world to work together writing a collaborative piece of music - which just isn't true...!

So what I've done is just quickly said something like "10 young composers have been brought together etc. etc. I was one of the 10 chosen to take part in this ground-breaking project, here are the other nine..." and then I cut to my delightful montage.

It's the only way I could think of doing it - just a brief mention, and then that's that.

Any suggestions on this would be useful - or comments if you can think of another way of doing it!

As I've already said - Episode 1 is virtually finished. All I need to do now is write the final bit of my script which will have the online tease to this very blog (how up-to-date I am! pity about the blog not being completely up-to-date, but it will be!) and then a coming up on the next programme...easy peasy!

No comments:

Taster Sessions

Fancy listening to some of what we've been doing?
Well, click on the bits you want to listen to below!

Live Guitar Session 1

Live Guitar Session 2

Live Guitar Session 3

Live Group Session 1

Live Group Session 2

Live Group Session 3

11 Person Laptop Band



**DISCLAIMER - these podcasts use an external hosting website. Please note that any content viewed on this website apart from the 'World Piece' specific audio is not linked with this blog and does not represent the views or opinions of myself or this blog. I am not able to control what content, aside from the 'World Piece' specific audio, goes out on this website and I apologise if some content may offend.**

Some of the more 'unusual' instruments

Some of the CPoT team brought some rather interesting and unusual instruments with them to America...

...all of which will be included in AH!

So, please do click on the images below to have a listen!!

Charango

Charasca

Coco Banjo

Frame Drum

Haegum

Mongolian Throat Singing

Mosquito

Requinto

Counterpoint of Tolerance 2