Counterpoint of Tolerance 1

Monday 8 September 2008

Networking - Sunday 31st August

I went to a superb gig this evening - and I know what you're thinking, "She's always complaining about not having any time, yet she has time to go to a gig...Natalieeeee...??!" (and cue *disapproving looks*) Well, no it wasn't like that - it actually was useful as part of my MA - so nuh! (and cue *childish raspberry blowing*)


Basically, a collection of internationally renowned individual jazz players have been brought together for a one-off gig here in mighty Devon...RING ANY BELLS?!!


I heard about it through a family friend called Jack, who is very into his jazz! They had played together only once before earlier this week (Wednesday 27th August at the Bude Jazz Festival in Cornwall).


So I went along with the aim of talking to them about their experiences and what they were doing tonight and what they'd done earlier in the week.


They are a collection of some of the best New Orleans players from Europe. Two were from Sweden, two from Norway, and two from the UK (one from our very own 'English Riviera' - Torquay!)


Despite the fact that it was in a delightful licenced establishment (not that I can drink at the moment because of my silly (not-really-doing-anything) anti-inflammatory tablets (which yes - I'm still on at the moment..!)) and it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening - it was an opportunity that could not be missed.


I did speak to them and they were all most intrigued by the Counterpoint of Tolerance project - which is generally the reaction I get from most people when it pops up in conversation.


They were so interested in my musical story that they invited me to play with them as well - HEHEHEHEHE!! So I did - and oh how much fun I had!

By the end of the night, I gave one of them my blog website address - so he can find out more about what we're doing.


I love the way musicians, and creative people/artists do this - there's this vast unspoken communication that occurs between like-minded people that spurs interest and understanding in things that other similar people are doing - we're so friendly and lovely! Musical camaraderie!


Anyway, he's flying back to Gothenburg tomorrow and he said that he'd have a look at my blog when he gets home - I hope he does and makes comments etc. because, well, what an authority on this subject! Also, it would be very interesting to get someone else's opinions on this America project from the perspective of a person who's done something similar themselves.


So if any of Derek Winter's Sunshine International Jazz Band are reading this - hello!! And thank you once again for letting me play - it was utterly AMAZING!!

No comments:

Taster Sessions

Fancy listening to some of what we've been doing?
Well, click on the bits you want to listen to below!

Live Guitar Session 1

Live Guitar Session 2

Live Guitar Session 3

Live Group Session 1

Live Group Session 2

Live Group Session 3

11 Person Laptop Band



**DISCLAIMER - these podcasts use an external hosting website. Please note that any content viewed on this website apart from the 'World Piece' specific audio is not linked with this blog and does not represent the views or opinions of myself or this blog. I am not able to control what content, aside from the 'World Piece' specific audio, goes out on this website and I apologise if some content may offend.**

Some of the more 'unusual' instruments

Some of the CPoT team brought some rather interesting and unusual instruments with them to America...

...all of which will be included in AH!

So, please do click on the images below to have a listen!!

Charango

Charasca

Coco Banjo

Frame Drum

Haegum

Mongolian Throat Singing

Mosquito

Requinto

Counterpoint of Tolerance 2